Air conditioners are wonderful appliances. They cool the surroundings and remove moisture from the air making the environment very comfortable. An aircon that isn’t cooling properly causes extensive discomfort.
The aircon is a closed system consisting of the condenser, refrigerant pipes, and the evaporator. A problem in any of these can cause a lack of cooling.
There could be multiple reasons why there is an inadequate cooling effect. The most common causes are listed below:
- Clogged air filters: If the filters on your aircon are dirty and clogged, they may prevent cold air from entering the room. This is one problem you can fix on your own. Feel the flow of air at the outlet, and if you feel it is lesser than usual, remove the filters to see if they’re clogged. Clean them and install them back. You may see some improvement.
- Dirty condenser coil: If the condenser’s coils are clogged with dirt and debris, it cannot effectively exchange heat with the atmosphere. The condenser is the vent for heat extracted from your room. If it is clogged, naturally, your AC will not cool effectively.
- Dirty evaporator coil: The evaporator coil is chilled, and when air flows over it, it gets colder. If this coil is clogged, the aircon cannot extract heat from your room. Proper airflow is critical for the required level of cooling.
A build-up of ice is an indicator of reduced airflow through the evaporator. The coil’s temperature falls below zero, and the moisture in the air condenses and freezes. The airflow is further reduced due to the build-up of ice.
- Less refrigerant pressure: The refrigerant gas that circulates inside the aircon system should be at adequate pressure. This is just like car tire pressure. If it is reduced or increased beyond the recommended limit, the aircon does not cool effectively.
Ice build-up on the evaporator could happen because of low refrigerant too. The evaporator allows the compressed refrigerant to expand. If there is less refrigerant, it expands too much, and the temperature of the coil gets below the freezing point.
- Faulty compressor: This is the heart of the air conditioner. If anything is wrong with the compressor, the system is bound to malfunction. The compressor pressurizes the coolant and circulates it through the system. This movement of coolant is necessary for proper aircon operation. If the compressor isn’t starting, shutting early, or not generating enough pressure, your house would not be at the temperature you want.
- Thermostat: It is a temperature sensor that cuts-off supply to the compressor when the set temperature is reached. If the thermostat is faulty, it can either not turn the compressor at all. On the other hand, it may keep the compressor ON longer than required, thus overcooling the surroundings.
- Miscellaneous defects: The aircon has many other parts like a circuit board, capacitor, motor, etc. If either of these components is faulty, it may cause the aircon to malfunction and not cool the room.
- Remote / Reception issues: If the aircon’s remote, or the remote sensor on the aircon is faulty, you will not get the set temperature. If the remote appears faulty, it is a cheap replacement. Aircons generally emit a beep when you change the temperature — lookout for the beep. If your aircon is equipped with a display, verify the set temperature on the remote and the unit.
- High ambient temperature: Mother nature might cause an aircon to undercool. If the ambient temperature is too high, and the condenser cannot effectively emit heat to the atmosphere, the cooling effect inside your house would reduce.
- Improper AC capacity: This is not a defect. It is a wrong purchase decision. If the aircon is small and is made to cool an area larger than recommended, there would be low cooling.
For most of the issues where the aircon is not cooling satisfactorily, you would require a professional technician. MCL Air conditioning provides aircon servicing and repair throughout Singapore. They have well-trained professionals who can fix your aircon properly. You may hire them for aircon installation, aircon servicing, and aircon repair. MCL is reliable aircon servicing company in Singapore.